Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It Takes Hard Work



So, if you think becoming the greatest in your line of work, in your sport, in your LIFE...were easy, then becoming "great" wouldn't be that much of an accomplishment. I know that sounds obvious. However (and I am guilty of it), we all want INSTANT results- we want to change in a day what took MANY DAYS to create. And, whether it good or bad, it will take time to reverse or change, improve or dissipate. GREAT TAKES TIME.

A man in the gym today was talking about his mom still being alive. This man, Bob, is old enough to be MY grandpa. So, I asked, "how old is your mom?". He replied, "103! and I hope I don't have to live THAT long!". I thought to myself, "OMG, that is 70 more years for me if I live that long- that is extraordinary!". And, I would LOVE to live that long. Call me crazy, but I love life. I would not change a thing- except have my coach cook for me everyday. But, realistically- wouldn't change a thing.

I question all of the clients and athletes that I train everyday to reach their goals, and within this conversation of striving to do his/her best comes the question, "Well, what have you done to get there?." The answer given most often is usually..not a whole helluva lot. And, that is where we go wrong. It takes hard work-sacrifice, reading, learning new things, changing what you do every frickin' day in your routine in order to change. I am not asking you to give up coffee for god sake. But, perhaps see a greater you, within the current you, and get after it. That is the beauty of life- it is dynamic and it might take you further than you ever imagined.

Now, go slam dunk it.

No comments:

Clancy, Mike and I

Clancy, Mike and I
SB Tri Finishers- Nice Tiles!